Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the CR professions’ most mature set of self‐regulating
practices, dating back to the 1960s. The CSR function has evolved into a set of quality standards, ISO 26000, a practice code for self‐regulation in relations with internal and external
stakeholders. The CSR domain can include job titles and functions in the following areas:
- Corporate Citizenship. How a company engages with internal and external “citizens,” including employees, regulators, communities, customers, investors, lenders.
- Investor Relations/ Socially Responsible Investing (SRI). An investor relations function is a modern necessity for a public company, and since SRI now represents around 10% of capital markets activity, specific functions for dealing with SR‐type investors are growing.
- Public or Stakeholder Relations, Corporate Affairs and Communications. These executives most commonly face a company’s external audiences, are considered integral to a company’s CSR team, and often lead the CSR effort.
- Human Rights. Policing a company’s human rights policies and their application throughout the supply chain has become a significant function, especially in businesses employing far‐flung operations in low‐wage regions.
- Human Resources. Many companies assigned their top HR officer with the CSR lead, since their activities touch the company’s workforce daily.
- Social Entrepreneurship. Since the 2008 publication of the book The Power of Unreasonable People which described “social entrepreneurship” as a mission‐driven business with characteristics of both non‐profits and for profits, social entrepreneurship has evolved in companies of all sizes. The most often‐cited examples of social entrepreneurs are Jeffrey Hollender CEO of Seventh Generation, John Mackay of Whole Foods Markets, and Anita Roddick of The Body Shop.
- The Case for Corporate Social Responsibility - Wall Street Journal (blog)
- Corporate social responsibility isn't just for big businesses - Real Business
- Media Prima Bhd : Media Prima Wins Platinum Award for Corporate Social ... - 4-traders (press release)
- Coke's “Cap the Tap” Campaign Contradicts Its Social Responsibility Aims - The Nonprofit Quarterly
- The Year Ahead: 2014? Corporate Social Responsibility Fueled by Leadership - LinkedIn Today
- European apathy spells end for corporate social responsibility rules - The Guardian
- Big Banks Lag in Social-Responsibility Scores: Report - American Banker (subscription)
- Brand social responsibility 2.0 - Business Standard
- Letter: Corporate Social Responsibility in Armenia - Armenian Weekly
- Stakeholders meet to validate national Corporate Social Responsibility policy - Ghana Business News